The Speech Language Pathologist’s (SLP) (Enrolments) role is to provide specialist advice in reviewing applications and enquiries for prospective students of The Glenleighden School through provision of observations, screening, feedback to families and liaison with educational teams.
The SLP will assess the needs of prospective students and liaise with the enrolments team and Head of School to support the seamless transition of students into The Glenleighden School.
This position will also involve increasing the awareness of educational professionals and the community about Language Disorders and services provided by SALDA.
Main duties and responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that SALDA and The Glenleighden School are presented in a positive and professional manner.
- Analyse and interpret findings of children’s development and progress across relevant educational/developmental, behavioural, social, cognitive and emotional areas.
- Collate and screen initial information regarding the child to ensure they meet the strict enrolment criteria of Language Disorder being their main focus.
- Contribute to, and assume responsibility as appropriate for, reporting and data collection procedures, as well as relevant correspondence and administrative tasks.
- Liaise with families, health and education professionals, and other members of the public as one of the main contact persons for school enrolments, ensuring a high level of professional communication when promoting The Glenleighden School.
- Liaise with external bodies and the wider community to positively promote SALDA services i.e. School Support Services referrals, to meet the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Actively support members of relevant program and discipline teams, including participation in meetings and working parties/committees with other staff with the regularity of such being determined by and negotiated with relevant supervisors.
- Assist to mentor peers and provide guidance and advice across the SALDA team.
- As a member of the enrolments team, establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships with the School team and other staff members of SALDA.
- Participate in school and organisation-wide meetings.
- Actively participate in Speech Language Pathology specific professional development, as well as initiate and engage in collaborative and/or cross-disciplinary in-servicing.
- Advocate for children with Language Disorder, in accordance with SALDA’s mission and vision.
- Participate in research as required.
- Provide fee for service Speech Language Pathology when required.
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
Qualifications / Registrations / Professional memberships
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Speech Language Pathology from an approved tertiary institution.
- Member of Speech Pathology Australia.
- PRODA registration or eligibility for registration.
- NDIS Worker Screening Check.
- Blue Card or Exemption Card.
- Driver’s Licence.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Knowledge of best practice and procedures related to the provision of therapy services to children and young people with speech and language difficulties.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and implement best practice methodologies with a sound evidence base.
- Knowledge and understanding of the comorbidities associated with Language Disorder.
- Experience in and understanding of multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches to working with children and young people with disability.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to self-direct as well as work effectively with others.
- A commitment to personal and professional development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop professional networks both internally and externally with key stakeholders.
- The Speech Language Pathologist (Enrolments) will build positive working relationships with management, administrative, therapy and education staff throughout the organisation as well as with schools, medical, health professionals across Queensland.
All applications for this position are to be made via Seek.