The role of the Deputy Head of School – Primary is to provide comprehensive and effective educational services for children and their families designated as clients of Speech and Language Development Australia (SALDA) at The Glenleighden School.
The position is one of the key professionals within a multidisciplinary team, supporting appropriate educational outcomes for students with a disability for whom language is their primary disorder. Positions at this level will have supervisory responsibilities for school assistants and experienced teachers as well as assisting new teachers by providing guidance and advice.
The position will be responsible for a class and for teaching classes across the Primary School.
Main duties and responsibilities
The main duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Undertake a teaching load, as determined by the Head of School.
- Confidently engage with parents, students and other stakeholders.
- Provide oversight of academic programmes including scope and sequence, curriculum planning documents, registration etc.
- Ensure the curriculum taught is compliant with the requirements of external authorities.
- Ensure the primary school curriculum is of the highest standard, meeting the diverse needs of students and enabling strong outcomes and reflects best practice in curriculum design and pedagogy.
- Review schedules, tasks, policy, processes as required.
- Review assessment data to track student progress and achievement.
- Oversee in collaboration with others the daily operation/management of all elements of the primary school.
- Oversee and support record keeping as required.
- Collaborate in the leadership of Primary School events and activities as required.
- Lead staff to be inspired and passionate teachers.
- Provide instructional and inspirational leadership to the primary school teaching team developing evidence informed pedagogical practices.
- Inspire, mentor and lead staff to be always striving to develop their professional practice and expertise.
- Foster an environment that promotes positive wellbeing, care of students and good standards of behaviour.
- Encourage and develop a culture of strong partnerships between, staff, students and parents.
- Lead and manage primary school teaching and learning to ensure programmes are sequential, engaging, vibrant and agile.
- Lead and support teachers in creating positive and engaging classroom environments that support student learning.
- Lead the primary school staff in being accountable, team orientated and driven by high expectations for students.
- Display authenticity with a strong personal presence and capacity to inspire and care for students, staff and stakeholders.
- Articulate and engage with a personal warmth that engenders mutual respect and builds commitment and community at the school.
- Display initiative, self-motivation and accountability.
- Support the values of SALDA as part of the total life of the school.
- Ensure discretion, professionalism and maintain confidentiality.
- As required, deputise for the Head of School as directed by the Executive Principal.
- Any other duties as required by the Head of School or their delegate.
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
Qualifications / Registrations / Professional memberships
- Tertiary qualification applicable to the role.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience in leading a professional team and managing innovative, responsive and flexible programs.
- Sound knowledge of the current Australian Curriculum (Primary) and strong pedagogical skills to meet the diverse needs of all students and to foster every child’s educational potential.
- Experience with timetabling within a small school (Primary) context.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and within a team.
- Ability to lead and assist others in growing their practice and performance.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Registration with the Queensland College of Teachers.
- NDIS Worker Screening Check Clearance.
- Driver’s Licence.
- First Aid Certificate.
- The Deputy Head of School – Primary reports to the Head of School.
- The Deputy Head of School – Primary will work closely with all staff.
- The Deputy Head of School – Primary will build positive relationships with management, administrative, therapy and education staff throughout the organisation as well as with schools, medical professionals and key contacts across Queensland.